PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2020, 17:16
WillowRun 6-3

Location: Within AM radio broadcast range of downtown Chicago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Karachi, part 99

The strength of the international civil aviation system including the parts of it within the area of 'public international air law' derives in major part from the sovereign capacity of each country to work through official processes as it best sees fit - in this instance the Annex 13 official AAIB report of course. But a weakness of that same international civil aviation system derives from that sovereign and independent capacity - it's not actually too realistic to expect someone in a position of authority to pick up a phone to call somebody in Pakistan and put a boot in a backside to get the report done in a lot less time (and still done properly). As I have said earlier there really isn't much imagination required for the system (as described above) to lose its virginity and have a subgroup of the AAIB under Annex 13 plus a select few professional people (like, huh, hey about EASA, they're sort of interested already, no?) join in, and hear the entire CVR output. Not public dissemination, but whose important stake in civil aviation safety globally could possibly suffer if the preliminary report is supplemented with some significant additional information from that evidently critically important CVR output??

With the speed with which places like forum threads dig into accident facts as they emerge and yield up a great many insights even as just based on partial information, one would think the investigation process cannot stay in slow motion. I'm an SLF certainly but I've traveled by air since I was less than 2 years of age (that's a fact) and something like this accident which sends pro pilots scratching their heads in bewildered or at least quite puzzled concern is not the norm, not even close. So the post by vilas about not waiting, I'm on that bandwidth.

And as for Goldenrivetts postulating a wrong-directional push of the gear lever, based on a routine call-out having been made despite that call-out having been obviated by previous action (if I read that post right), if that is what turns out to have occurred, well it'll be a case of aviator daydreaming or sleepwalking. This is not a matter of cultural factors but it is a matter of whether you're playing in a realm where rigor counts or it does not.

(And Toulouse says nothing about an aircraft issue, that speaks volumes, does it not?)
WillowRun 6-3