PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2020, 11:45
compressor stall

Received 139 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by parkfell
Their mental state is central to this tragic crash. I would suggest that during the (late) descent the chemical and electrical pathways in the brain were such that an ‘abnormality of the mind’ occurred. The psychologists views on the CVR will be interesting.

As to why this occurred is at present subject to conjecture ~ fasting, dehydration might be two routes to explore? Toxicology report awaited.

As far as has been disclosed in 22 June report, no evidence of fumes in the cockpit / decompression.

The jigsaw is far from complete.
yes all the pieces of the puzzle need to be searched for. Some may be found. We don’t know how many pieces there are yet.

But as it stands we have:
  1. a distracted crew from COVID,
  2. not very current
  3. missed the TOD from (1)
  4. possible pride “real pilots don’t orbit or go around”
  5. meek FO
  6. gear out at 7k to help descent
  7. gear up on GP intercept (meek FO moves the handle the only way it will go, maybe getting confused for a go around?)
  8. Approach waaay to fast and no Dangling Dunlops that normally slow them down when they might have done this before.
  9. real pilots don’t go around. That’s embarrassing.
  10. oh crap the gear is up.
I don’t think this scenario “needs” a fumes event factor.

There may be one, I can’t say there is t just as you can’t say there is. But there’s enough in the list above not to need one.

I have sat at at the holding point in India on a 2000m runway. Pretty much half way along the runway. We were waiting for the arrival on an aircraft inbound so we could enter and backtrack. It was a bit over 10 years ago, actually right in the midst of the last fake pilot scandal.
We commented how high the aircraft was on final.... we sat waiting for the go around. It never came. The 320 was well past us before it touched down.

Last edited by compressor stall; 30th Jun 2020 at 11:57.