PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Partenavia fatal crash Wagga 1998. 17 defects present
Old 29th Jun 2020, 13:26
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
In another era I knew a DCA Examiner of Airmen (GA) based at Moorabbin. A former Army pilot, his advice was sought by many a young pilot starting out on his flying career. In those days Examiners were allotted 50 (?) hours a year personal practice, paid for by DCA. There was no shortage of flying schools at Moorabbin to choose from.

It didn't take long for the word to get around that he had no qualms about writing up a snag in the maintenance release where warranted. He would ring up various flying schools to make a booking only to be told by amazing coincidence all the aircraft were booked out. There was nothing he could do about it. He eventually took early retirement in disgust sickened by what he had seen.

Just think. if that sort of treatment could happen to a respected Examiner, what chance is there for the average GA pilot who needs to earn a crust?

Further to the subject of the Partenavia crash at Wagga. I did some of the pilot's instrument rating training prior to him moving to Wagga. He flew very well then. I warned him that out of the camaraderie of the flying school where he was a flying instructor, the world would be different as a charter pilot. That there would be subtle and not so subtle pressures to break the rules. That it would be up to his own strength of character to draw his own line in the sand. It has ever been thus in general aviation.

Last edited by Centaurus; 29th Jun 2020 at 13:50.