PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2020, 23:01
Ind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roger that

homebuilt

I agree with all the points. This was in no way a SOP for landing a passenger aircraft, maybe fighter jet or military cargo in manpad danger zone. Good that no one yet came with suggestions of S-like manoeuvre to kill horizontal AS in this case. My point was only that if we look at the available picture from the prelim report and else, it looks like that pilots were not in two minds what to do, otherwise they'd followed the suggestion to take an orbit (they were not ordered specifically to take an orbit, so I do not see that they disobeyed the ATC commands here). And simply were determined to land the AC and somehow where "comfortable" with that. So it was only logical was to assume that they were confident this is going to work, and they going to make it, at least at the initial stage. I don't know why, but perhaps they done this before, but this is crucial point of the story. Yes, again, this is not how things should be and it was a complete madness. But the assumption to land the aircraft being so high and fast above normal and that they were prepared to ignore the warning lights, might explain why they missed another noise of too low gear warning. They did not forget about the gear completely, they used it to kill some speed as it looks, just did not control this properly... though I don't understand why at 1740ft with the gears they deactivated speed brakes.. Too concentrated on the sink rate? Yes, as situation developed they were getting into much deeper waters, hunting for GS and missed the gear check.
But as pointed before, they were way too fast to be anywhere close to a normal landing at the threshold: 190-210 kts IAS and slats/flaps at 3 is way too fast at this point, regardless of the wind and actual LW, so even with the gears down, full thrust reverse and max breaking things would not end nicely for them as it looks, can anyone confirm? But somehow they were determined and wanted to make this work, so I don't think they were choosing in their heads between these two scenarios: overshoot or TGOA.