PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2020, 02:43
giggitygiggity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Absolutely, I wholeheartedly agree; and that is the correct use of that term.

Flying an aircraft is easy, but it should go without saying but CRM training must focus on how we can easily recognise these situations and appropriately apply that cognetive dissonanceaccordingly (it's tricky!). We've all felt a but behind the aircraft on occasions and (hint hint) we all have the power to rectify that situation.The trickiest part is recognising and vocalising that awkward feeling. The best thing I've ever seen in the sim was a Captain saying to the other guy "Sorry buddy, but I've lost my SA a bit here... Can you help me out here?". It takes a lot of machismo to admit that.

My company (Europe's largest A320 series operator) has been giving an excellent brief prior to the recurrent sims for the last few years exactly on this topic. Through a dart board diagram showing the colours, we illustraite three broad levels of Situational Awareness: Green, Amber and Red. The advice is that if you find yourself creeping into the Amber, what can you do to get yourself back into the Green? More severely, if you find yourself creeping into the Red, the situation rearly is a little more dire. Perhaps it's time to start manupulating the controls to get yourself out of there: think GPWS Pull-UP/Too Low.

I suppose I'm advocating for the opposite of the 'Children of the Magenta Line' mantra, but,,,,, In a circumstance like this, they should have dialed-up the level of automation to offload that task to someone else (the A320/FMGC) with a far greater capacity bucket than they currently had. The magenta line video supposes an excellent solution, but frankly, but I'm afraid that it's nearly 30 years out of date.