PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Just Raised Their Costs.
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2020, 23:15
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Consultants...

I have seen outside consultants come into a business, charge management an eye watering sum for their services, study and analyse the business, provide massive volumes of documentation, training packages, recommendations and restructure plans that look great but either cannot be implemented or end up getting undone afterwards because they either cause more dramas than they fix, damage systems that worked just fine or turn out to be simply unworkable.

I have also seen cases where consultants come in to provide an "outside, independent analysis" and after charging a large amount for their services, tell management exactly what management hired them to tell them, except now with mountains of documentation. And if the preliminary reports aren't quite what management wants to hear, the consultants will make sure it is when the final reports are provided.

I have seen consultants come in to a business to provide services the company cannot (or do not want to) provide and end up in a nice cosy position for years, basically becoming part of the staff and culture but costing more than if the organsiation had just implemented that functionality themselves.

Not saying your analysis of how creating new structures inside a business result in those structures needing to justify their position but consultants do much the same - ie you need to spend money on us as your business has problems and only we know how to fix them for you and you need us to keep coming back to make sure you are on track, here sign this contract for the next five years and note we expect our invoices to be promptly paid and provisions for our staff to be accomodated on site.

I am sure there are fantastic consults around who do provide value for money but the idea they are the only smart way to address problems makes me raise an eyebrow.

I imagine, if AA chose to spend money on outside consultants to resolve this, I suspect some people on social media would be raising a din over the incredible waste of taxpayer's money Airservices are making by spending on outside consultants...

my 2c