PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N72EX (Kobe Bryant) Crash Reconstruction with new ATC Audio
Old 21st Jun 2020, 16:26
roscoe1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The really sad part of this discussion has been left in the dust. All the experts, all the opinions, all the legislation to come and the NTSB throwing up their hands when the FAA doesn't take their advice (again) fails to mention that this all happened in order to get a teenager to a basketball game. Granted, business is business and if people are willing to pay, there is not too much I can say that makes it wrong to conduct that business in this case. However, there was zero, or if possible less than zero, risk/benefit analysis going on here. Bear in mind I'm talking about passenger 135 operations, not all types of helicopter operations. I cut a lot more slack if prople want to risk their lives and machines by themselves or with others who understand what they are doing. That process should have started long before this flight. The primary question should have been, how important is it to complete this mission? It was a convenience, not very important at all, but it was treated as if it were a mission of mercy or disaster response. I am not at all saying helicopters shouldn't be used like this. I'm just saying that perhaps it should have been given serious consideration by the pilot before he pulled pitch, and certainly as things got dicey with ATC and the weather.

Last edited by roscoe1; 21st Jun 2020 at 16:37.