PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Recertification Testing - Finally.
Old 21st Jun 2020, 13:26
WillowRun 6-3

Location: Within AM radio broadcast range of downtown Chicago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Production ... of legislation (and documents)

Ewbank's letter as reported above by the eminently reliable Dominic Gates in the Times of Seattle was sent coincident with Senate Commerce Committee hearings held on the 17th (Wednesday). Both parties' senior-most Committee members - Wicker (Miss.) and Cantwell (Wash.) - excoriated FAA for stonewalling on document disclosure to their Committee, in terms more scathing than previously. (If this was noted above in the thread, how I missed it, I couldn't say.)
Also of note are reports that the Senate legislation in the works would curtail the extent to which a manufacturer can do the regulator's certification work "for" the regulator as opposed to doing such work in a strict delegation sense (my own characterization of the differences in approach).
Common sense as well as an assessment of all the litigation and investigations encasing the status of the 737 MAX lead this observer to think production at this point is mostly an expression of some corporate financial accounting imperative. The once-proud airframer up in Seattle isn't fooling anybody.....this time.