PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Harris a 'colonial warmonger'
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2020, 11:11
falcon900

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
While I profoundly disagree with Jenns point of view, and reject it, in doing so I would acknowledge the point he makes about perception.
The worrying fact of the matter is that there is indeed a perception among many that Harris did something "immoral" / "wrong" / "bad" /etc. I am not sure that I would like to see the results of a straw poll of the great British public on the matter, for fear of the picture it would portray.
For my own part, while I would take issue with some of Harris's actions later in the war, I would not do so on moral grounds, nor would my overall view of his contributions be clouded.The current debacle highlights the fact that history is a living thing, and needs to be actively preserved and defended. Our current society seems to have a predisposition towards the negative and tearing down reputations, and this is never easier when the vast bulk of the protagonists are dead.
If any good is to come from the current situation, it can only be through a balanced evaluation of the facts in a form which is able to be digested by the general public. Learned works available on Amazon are all well and good, but what is needed is some good old fashioned propaganda.