PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2020, 11:11
mikehallam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for posting the Pre-War Spinning Instructions.
So much to recall from my early days and to be happy to know that their technique was what we too were instructed to use.

Spinning was still on the syllabus & taught at Shoreham in 1970 on the Cessna 150, though some folk said most of the time it was really a spiral dive & not the real thing !
I bravely did one solo before the GFT, but that was it !
Now nearing 83 & still flying my Rans from a field in SE UK, I'm grateful for having had that slightly stricter Classic PPL training.

Nowadays, the LAA light 'plane "Annual" schedule and inspection sign off requires a "Test Flight" at near AUMW. This is simply 1000 ft climb rate, a bit of handling, VNE and stalls.
I have to say a surprising number of pilots (?) quail at even doing either Stalls or VNE; seemingly frightened that their skills aren't up to it, or that a 50 year old plane might shed its wings. Even the MAUW requirement is cavilled at.
I hesitate to think, after a cheated or unfulfilled Test Flight has been signed off by the owner & they obtain a new Permit to Fly, that they then happily proceed to fly fully loaded with the wife of girl friend on board. It makes a nonsense of the whole thing - luckily the original a/c design and manufacture margins usually provide these budding Darwin Candidates some protection.

I think by contrast military training and its regime always was a thorough & essentially fulfilling course, conveying skills I envy.

The pages of this forum continue to be a tribute to the generation before me who were embroiled in WW II by relating their experiences.