PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX management. Moral Turpidude
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2020, 05:27
hyg

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fly1981
I think your assessment of the cos18 pilot pool is incorrect. Sure, the SO’s employed could be considered ‘abinitio flying club’ pilots, the defo’s( and there are many of them) on the other hand have very relative experience, fill the gap quit nicely. The likes of EK/QR have been putting 35 year olds in the left seat of 380’s for years, with 5 years company experience, before that many were regional jet pilots, the only reason time to command at cx is what it is, is because historically the contracts have been so good, people don’t leave, it has absolutely nothing to do with experience required to do the job. once in the left seat, captains are ‘coining’ it, and guys in the right seat are happy to give up command at lower paying airlines, and wait their turn, knowing full well that their salary in the right seat is equatable to many smaller airlines captain salary’s. The age old argument of ‘grey beard’ experience being required to ‘do the job’ is obsolete, it is not, that fact has been proven by airlines all over the world. Your number in the seniority order this current day in age, especially as an expat, means nothing. Same goes for your experience, as long as it is relative, the job will get done.

I find the number of users advocating redundancy on this thread disgusting, I am willing to bet that many of those guilty are relying on their number in seniority to comfort themselves at night, well, you just keep telling yourselves that, Heaven forbid, if it does come
To redundancy I hope you are taught a lesson. Have some emphatic.
I do believe there could be the possibility of redundancy as well but like myself, many other people I spoke to believe it won't be LIFO... people I spoke to and myself are all relatively safe in the case of LIFO, but realistically, why would the company leave the expensive options in while getting rid of the cheaper option, it simply doesn't make commercial sense. If you have an alternate when you go flying, I believe you should have one for your life too, putting all hopes into the fact that the company is going to observe the LIFO clause in the contract is I believe pure wishful thinking in this current climate.

Besides, if after things like SARS, GFC, people still can't see there's an even slight chance that their job/income could be in peril when **** happens and put away some decent amount of saving or preparing for an alternative career when need to, that's just not good planning.