PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Harris a 'colonial warmonger'
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2020, 08:39
Downwind.Maddl-Land

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by OJ 72
Regarding Jenns' comment in Post #73 about being 'ashamed' of Sir Arthur Harris' statue being unveiled in 1992...I am in no way ashamed about its unveiling. My only regret was that I was on holiday with my wife in France at the time and we were unable to accept an invitation to attend the unveiling with the surviving 'Old Lags' from my Squadron Association. And Jenns, before you ask, I felt nothing but pride watching the unveiling of the Bomber Command Memorial in Green Park in 2012. The only 'shame' was that the 55 573 dead and the dwindling band of survivors had to wait so long to be recognised by the Nation.

It may be simplistic, but if it wasn't for their sacrifice, (and that of the other services, and the civilians of the UK and the Commonwealth) then the borderless Europe that you alluded to in your post may have been a reality. However, I doubt if there would have been much peace, prosperity or indeed freedom of movement for those people who didn't constitute 'Grosser Deutschland'.
At the risk of repeating myself: +1
On the other hand: Jenns