PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European Flight Academy (EFA) selection experiences
Old 20th Jun 2020, 07:33
Pawly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did improve.
I‘m not going to get into a massive discussion here about whether or not you should keep chasing your dreams but in the end I failed due to the Mozard, and only the Mozard. It‘s also the one single thing you can‘t really train at home. Now, I‘m not saying it was someone else‘s fault because it wasn‘t - it was my fault and when I went to the pilot expo in March, I tried their Mozard Test again and passed it with outstanding results.

I agree that you should always come prepared when you have an important assessment coming up, but then again, there‘s only so much you can do and if you fail, this might be due to a lot of factors that don‘t necessarily tell you if you‘re ready for a job as a professional pilot. You might just have a bad day or have this one task that kind of destroys it all.

When I got my results, I talked to an A320 FO who worked for Eurowings and took care of us that day and he felt bad for me not passing because I had above average results in every single subject; except for the one that you couldn’t prepare for. He also told me not to give up as he definitely sees me in the cockpit and told me to continue with assessments, or even come back to EW in 2 years (which for me isn’t an option but it was nice to hear).

Meanwhile a lot has happened. I passed an assessment and also my Medical Class 1, now I have two more airline assessments coming up and see how it‘ll go. If it goes horribly wrong, I might consider switching career paths but I certainly won‘t let one failed assessment mess up my career path. If you fail your first assessment and decide not go keep trying, you should consider yourself lucky for not passing because you wouldn‘t be very successful in your job anyway as it requires a massive amount of dedication and hard work - I‘m sure every single person in this forum agrees with this.

In the end it doesn‘t seem so bad as I wouldn‘t start training with the LH group anyway due to what‘s currently happening and I have now instead decided to focus on smaller airlines and freight companies. What I‘m trying to say is, if you keep trying, you‘ll be successful eventually.

Plus, I went to the assessment knowing very well that I might not pass. It was a success for me either way as I simply wanted to know what airline assessments are like. The feeling, the pressure, the tasks.. that‘s what I was there for. It’s also the reason I went to the interpersonal test first - because you can come back to it in 2 years. Unlike the DLR, you can try again, which is always a nice option to have if you decide to do something else before becoming a pilot.

Oops, this has gotten way too long.
To come back to this topic - again, I personally had the feeling that tasks in maths and physics were easily doable and I‘m in no way an expert. I did prepare and laid my focus on +, -, x, :, which was the right decision for me personally.
Keep in mind, you don‘t get a calculator, so tasks can’t be too complex anyway.