PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane collision at Aberdeen Airport
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2020, 01:04
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Thread drift... when I worked for deHavilland in the early '80's, Dash 8 number one, C-GDNK (named for DH Director Donald Kendal) was painted for its roll out. As with airplane things, there was a bit of a rush at the last minute, so we were there Sunday evening just after the final coat of paint went on. I was just hanging around, I had no actual role in preparing the plane for display. It was determined that the tug which had pulled the plane into the paint shop, could not easily be positioned back to push it out. So six of us, and one elderly painter carrying a set of chocks, pushed it out. Four of us each took a main wheel, and two more pushed on the main gear legs, as there was no other place to push on - new, and not cured paint. We couldn't quite get it over the hump of the hangar door tracks, but by then, the tug could be positioned to finish the job.

But yes, rolling any plane by hand, with no plan to stop it is a bad idea. And placing the chock under a wheel in motion is certainly hazardous!