PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Harris a 'colonial warmonger'
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2020, 18:17
Caramba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OJ 72
Having not been on-line for a few days I've just had a quick read through this thread, and when I got to Jenns' crass and offensive comment at Post 55 comparing Harris with Eichmann I couldn't really believe what I was seeing. I've been trying to think of some form argument to counter this repugnant comment, but then I realised that if Jenns genuinely holds this opinion then he's patently a lost cause, and no form of reasoning or cogent discussion could persuade him otherwise.
It’s a false equivalence. Eichmann was enacting genocide (a term not coined until 1947 I think). Harris - Britain - was waging war as best it could with the available tools, against a foe that was waging an aggressive war, perpetrating all sorts of ghastliness in the process.

Incidentally, the USAAC/F might claim some sort of moral superiority because it used precision bombing - but it was hardly precision when the entire formation bombed at the same time as the leader, or used radar, or dropped incendiaries over Japanese cities.

Caramba