PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - West Atlantic ATP runway excursion in Birmingham
Old 19th Jun 2020, 14:00
parkfell

de minimus non curat lex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joe le Taxi
My lament too, is that most airline pilots these days don't get intensive instruction or screening for handling techniques, and there are some truly abysmal examples out there. This video doesn't surprise me at all - infact I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often!
I would suggest that the diminishing standard probably began 20-25 years ago when the number of A2s leaving the Services for the ‘“Approved Schools’” began to reduce with a contraction of the RAF.

So the number of pilots being trained by ex A2s reduced, and so the known quality passed down reduces as an overall percentage.
You are now faced with instructors who, through no fault of their own, have been taught indifferently in the first place. Hardly surprising the overall standard reduces?

“You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear to quote an old proverb.

That said, there are some hotspots of QUALITY; and of course a good student will succeed despite his instructor....

The fundamental skill which needs to be learnt is one of selecting the prescribed ATTITUDE and TRIMMING.
Get that correct and Joe might yet smile...?

Last edited by parkfell; 19th Jun 2020 at 14:24.