PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Harris a 'colonial warmonger'
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2020, 07:15
George Glass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both my parents were children during the War and were evacuated during the Blitz.
My mother returned to London just in time to be bombed out by one of the first V2 rockets.
She was dug out from under the rubble of a three story tenement.
Between Dunkirk and D-Day Bomber Command was the only way of taking the fight to the German people. Nobody and any qualms about it at the time. On the contrary , listening to the bomber streams passing overhead each night , as my mother did , was a moral boosting godsend.
There was no such thing as precision night bombing. It was either area bombing or nothing at all. The government quite realistically chose area bombing. To Churchills undying discredit he tried after the War to walk away from what was a perfectly rational strategic decision, and sold Harris down the river at the same.
Germany had twice within a generation led the world into disastrous conflicts that resulted in the death and suffering of countless millions.
Hitler had not only to be beaten but smashed. After WW1 the Allies had made the mistake of not making the German people truely feel their defeat.
I doubt that there are too many people in Germany now who believe they could have afforded to have won WW2.
The bomber campaign not only should have happened , it had to happen.
Remember the brave Pilots of Bomber Command.
Lest we forget.