PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 16th Jun 2020, 08:03
guy_incognito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GS-Alpha
Of course I do not. This is why I said I would use the time to retrain. Anyway, this is now the last comment I shall make on the subject. I wish I had never bothered. If people really do think the job is worth doing for a lifetime on £20k, they are welcome to it.
In my opinion, the job was barely worth doing on the salaries hitherto offered. It's clear that airline management industry wide has long had pilot Ts&Cs firmly in their sites and this crisis has provided them with the golden opportunity to swing the axe. Even any changes presented as "temporary" will inevitably turn out to be not so temporary.

The problem lies in the fact that very few pilots have the qualifications and experience to go and do anything else, without making a significant investment in terms of time and money. WW, PB at easy, MOL etc. all know that they have pilots over a barrel, and that they can offer literally anything they want knowing that the majority of people will sign up just to keep some money coming in. Maybe people will sign up thinking that the "good times" will return. Clearly demand will rise at some point in the industry, but with a seemingly never-ending queue of kids (or their parents) willing to pay £120k for flight training, there's no reason to think that Ts&Cs will ever return to the level we saw three months ago.