PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-2
Thread: Gatwick-2
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2020, 15:50
mhk77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidjohnson6
I've had a look through the ACL report for winter 2020/2021, compared the slots granted (not just requested) and looked for route changes that have not been already announced. I must emphasise that this is based on slots granted - airlines can and sometimes do decline to take up routes, so this is only a "what might happen", not a "what will happen". In a normal year, many of these routes would have been announced by now; I'm guessing a sizeable number of them simply won't happen:

Air Arabia Maroc:
Fez cancelled

Air Nostrum:
New 2x weekly CRJ1000 to Vigo

Alitalia:
New 7x daily A319 routes to combination of Rome FCO and Milan LIN

China Southern:
New route 5x weekly A330/B787 to Guangzhou

Corendon:
New route 2x weekly B738 to Antalya

Easyjet:
Many new routes or beach routes going from summer-only to year round, but I'm dubious on this. Only 2 additional slot pairs allocated per week compared to previous winter
La Palma cancelled

Enter Air:
New route 1x weekly B738 to Banjul

Iraqi Airways:
Baghdad, Erbil(?) and Sulaimaniyah cancelled

Nouvelair:
New route 2x weekly A320 to Enfiddha

Nordica / Regional Jet:
New route 5x weekly to Tallinn

Ryanair:
New routes (2x weekly extra slot pairs) to Malaga and Sofia

SAS Scandinavian:
New route 3x weekly A320 to Copenhagen

Spice Jet:
New routes 9x weekly 267-seat aircraft to combination of Delhi and Mumbai

Stobart Air:
New route 1x weekly E190 to Belfast City

Swiss:
New route 1x weekly A220 to Sion

Titan:
Lyon replaced by Toulouse

Transavia France:
New route 1x weekly B738 to Paris Orly.
4x weekly slots were requested so this route probably won't happen

TUI:
Mauritius and Pattaya cancelled

Vistara:
New route 1x daily B789 to Delhi

Widerĝe:
New route 6x weekly E190-E2 to Bergen. Widerĝe have also been granted slots for 13x weekly E190-E2 on London City - Bergen

Wizzair:
8 new A321/A321neo slot pairs per day to a combination of:
Alghero, Bratislava, Burgas, Castellón, Constanța, Kaunas, Krakow, Košice, Kutaisi, Lisbon, Lviv, Malta, Niš, Odessa, Olsztyn, Palanga, Poprad, Suceava, Sofia, Satu Mare, Szczecin, Târgu Mureș, Tel Aviv, Varna, Vienna, Warsaw and Yerevan
Most routes are (or recently were) already flown from Luton - but Alghero, Malta, Niš, Odessa and Yerevan look to be new
József Váradi, CEO of Wizz has spoken recently about making Gatwick a major base in London. However only 40% of slots requested were actually granted

Wizzair UK:
13x weekly A321neo to a combination of Larnaca + Suceava

It looks as if Wizz+WizzUK have enough slots at Gatwick for the equivalent of 5 A321s

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/up...rd.-Report.pdf
How likely is any of that to happen? Would love it if Wizzair started to that extent, but on the same acl-uk report they mention BA Long Haul services and a number of Virgin flights. Both of whom have said they are withdrawing long-haul ops from Gatwick. I understand the nuance of slot protection hence the mention of BA and Virgin, but my main interest is the likelihood of Wizzair expanding so much at Gatwick which would be great, especially if all those flights do start.

I also really hope that Gatwick will try their hardest to entice other airlines to the airport now. Norwegian will leave a big hole. Why not try and tempt some of the smaller airlines that operate into Heathrow? It must be significantly cheaper to operate out of Gatwick and the connections into Central London are perfectly good enough once you walk out of the airport.