PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Recertification Testing - Finally.
Old 11th Jun 2020, 14:01
Dr Jay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 % IMMUNE

Originally Posted by SLF3
Google Heinsberg, Gengelt, Carnival. 15% infected in the region, and I believe 40% of those who attended the carnival.

the German doctor who led the research is Hendrick Streeck. There is a very interesting interview in English with him on YouTube.
As a physician following this closely, the 95 % innate immunity figure is just not true.

The underlying interpretation problem is one that I see over and over in the modern era of social media....people take an N =1 and extrapolate to the entire population. I can give you a personal example. My 88 yo mother with severe Alzheimers lives in a nursing home. 35 of the residents tested positive for COVID. 5 did not. One could conclude from this study that 15 % have innate immunity. But that would be erroneous. There could be a myriad of other factors here.

There may be individuals with genetic immunity. Trouble is, we don't know who they are, yet.

The second bigger issue is that even when COVID19 is over via herd immunity, immunizations, preventive meds or a combination, will air travel ever be the same ? At least in the US, a plethora of businesses are locked into working from home and Zoom meetings. Face to face board meetings, business pitches etc may be much more rare.

And then there is always the next pathogen....