PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - John Nichol books
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2020, 11:49
OJ 72

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts
Sadly, I think the current trend of being 'offended by everything' has reached the denizens of PPrune. As a member of the aforementioned 'self-loading freight' branch myself I genuinely had a bit of a chuckle when I read that comment. I can remember one of the 'Two Winged Master Race' saying that he'd rather have the extra 200lbs of fuel than fly with a Nav. But as one of my 'Single Wing' brethren pointed out to him '200lbs of fuel can't carry your bags off the aircraft, nor can it 'accompany' the ugly less attractive one of the pair of ladies that you meet in the hotel bar'!!

However, to get back to the Lancaster book being discussed (which I am currently reading)...I have to admit that as an aficionado of all things Bomber Command (and those of you who know me will know of my 'previous') I am disappointed in it. Unfortunately, it doesn't stand scrutiny with John's previous Bomber Command/Aviation books that I have read, such as 'The Last Escape', 'Tail End Charlies' and 'The Red Line'. 'Lancaster' appears to be a mish-mash of crew and raid-related anecdotes taken from his (and others') earlier books on Bomber Command. Worthy, incredible and moving though these stories are they don't actually address the books sub-title 'The Forging of a Very British Legend'. And, perhaps more disappointing, the accuracy of the research is sometimes lacking, as there are mistakes in dates, spellings of names, bombing techniques and details of raids etc.