PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet-5
Thread: EasyJet-5
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2020, 13:22
FRatSTN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.travelmole.com/news_feat...ews_id=2043026

Not sure what other thoughts are, but I don't know what planet EZY think they are on frankly. And before anyone accuses me of any STN vs LTN slanging match as is usually the case, let me at least try to make my point clear...

We have an airline that is cutting it's fleet from 335-ish to a little over 300 for Summer 2021. This fully complies with an airline that time and time again has made it's strategy abundently clear of being very returns focussed, and shown it's willingness to adjust the fleet to where the best returns can be achieved. In fact, Lundgren's very words when revealing the 30% cut in staff was that EasyJet would "optimise the network and our bases". Make no mistake, it's proven to be a fairly solid strategy and kept them largely away from cut throat price wars with other LCCs, instead keeping more the FSCs at bay at major hubs where they're dominant.

Yet on the contrary, in no doubt the most volatile and uncertain outlook we've ever seen in aviation, we have nothing more than a knee-jerk reaction by EasyJet who with a 12-month lag are going totally against their own strengths in a poor attempt to stand-up to a far more agressive carrier, in far better position to win any race to the bottom. Truthfully, Wizz have a stronger cost-base, and has the capacity to act aggresively in line with it's volumes and load factor drive to undercut rivals. There's a very valid reason why Ryanair see Wizz as their biggest competition and increasingly look to follow their lead.

I see no doubt in who will win this one out between EasyJet and Wizz, and wouldn't even be totally surpised to see Ryanair try and get a peice of the action in some form. There's also little doubting that with the level of EasyJet's fleet reduction, there will be cuts made from potentially higher yielding parts of the existing network in order to facilitate this new capacity.

Last edited by FRatSTN; 10th Jun 2020 at 13:33.