PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a pilot After COVID-19
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2020, 12:38
PilotLZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that the shock and fear from the pandemic are gradually abating, people have already started thinking about travel. And the number of naysayers who believe in any sort of "new normal" involving far less travel long-term is getting smaller and smaller. Public confidence will be regained not too long after the restrictions are lifted and the economy will most likely recover fairly quickly as it entered the crisis in pretty good overall shape. Sure, there will be a period of re-absorption of experienced pilots into the market, leaving little space for new entrants. Some jets will inevitably have their tails repainted, many personnel will go to bed being employed by one company and wake up being employed by a different one. But saying that there's no future in airline flying and no efforts to enter this profession are worthwhile is pure nonsense.

I would still advise any newbie against going much further than a PPL, the odd hour once or twice a month to keep current and at-home studying of the ATPL subjects (since they require a fair bit of work and it's never too early to get started on that) for at least a year from now. I'm absolutely not saying this in the sense of "steer clear and get into something else". I'm saying it as in "not just yet, have some patience until the dust settles". If you can do a degree in the meantime - fantastic. If not - you can still acquire some valuable new skill or work experience. In some time, flying will be there for you. Just be patient and take your time.