PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas pilot academy - latest rejection
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2020, 00:17
Lead Balloon

Received 410 Likes on 202 Posts
I just want to be clear that I am not suggesting that I have been discriminated against - I'm just seeking feedback on what I can do (if anything) to overcome the constant rejections. This isn't about finding or making excuses, its about tapping into every resource available to learn and improve.

Most of your readers have sacrificed their time, money and lives to be professional pilots. They have failed, picked themselves up, swept hangers, worked in 50 degree cockpits, had friends killed.
If the application process requires any writing other than the entry of data (name, age, number of hours etc), I would recommend that you ask someone with deep written communication expertise to review what you have written.

I have reviewed many (many) applications for many (usually six-figure salary) positions, and the applications with any grammatical and other errors usually do not make it past the initial review. In a highly competitive process, the reviewers are trying to cull as many applicants as quickly as possible.

In the second quote above, the writer is in effect saying that the persons to whom s/he referred have conspired to murder people: “They have ... had friends killed.” The “hanger” point has already been picked up. I would chuckle at the former and cringe at the latter, and flick the application to the ‘reject’ pile. (However, I hasten to add that the writer was merely making an anonymous post on PPRUNE, so it is not a context in which anything important is at stake. I am not suggesting that the writer would write in the same way in a formal application.)

That said, someone very close to me spent a couple of decades in seat 0A of international heavy metal operations, and I suspect he will go to his grave never having understood the correct use of apostrophes and the difference between “your” and the contraction of “you are”. He was lucky enough too bee in the rite places at thee write thyme.