PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Farnborough Airfield Category
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2020, 21:36
Monty Niveau

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The point is, the original question,Anyone able to confirm (with evidence) what category Farnborough Airfield (EGLF) is please? Understand its a Cat A, but some operators list it as a Cat B for its noise sensitive routings? many thanks’ is moot.

The answer cannot be given here, but only by the relevant person at the AOC-holding organisation. He will need to be willing to justify it subsequently, should it be challenged by the regulator.

We can all offer opinions, but none of us can give a definitive answer.

I’ll offer my two cents: For a Piper Seneca, typically Category A, but briefing to be read before operating (displaced thresholds, airspace, etc). For a Boeing 777, Category C commander’s only landing and takeoff, requiring simulator training or a visit with a company TRE(A); Company TRE(A)s exempt provided they have had a briefing from the DFO. Everything else somewhere in between at discretion. I’m sure that doesn’t help.

Finally, the ludicrous process of categorisation needs to stop. The award of an aerodrome licence should mean that the aerodrome is a fit place to operate subject to published provisions. Having literally been woken in the night to write a categorisation and special brief for a place I’ve never heard of before ‘because we’ve just sold a charter’, and then searched Jeppesen and their competitors, google earth, AIPs and so on, and our oppositions’ out-of-date OM(C)s trying to write something effective, makes a mockery of the licensing system. Another consequence is that many operators down-categorise for commercial reasons. Sion, Category B, anybody?