PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US threatens to withdraw troops from Germany
Old 6th Jun 2020, 18:28
West Coast

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50
Based on one of the Ike biographies I read, it's been a contentious issue as far back as the lata 50's and early 60's, and when I was a JO, during the 80's, it was a very public harangue on who was or was not meeting their fiscal commitments to the Alliance. (It would crop up in Aviation Week and Space Technology, of all places).

I am surprised that it has taken this long to get the footprint down, but as it's a political thing there are a variety of snags and obstacles to various key decisions to leave a particular place. Shutting down DoD facilities in Vieques and Puerto Rico happened at light speed, in comparison. (And while my memory may be hazy, once President Aquino (Philippines) said "You are invited to leave" it didn't take long to start folding the tents. The volcano (Pinatubo) merely hastened what had already begun).
Layers of history, convention, apathy, likely some special interests have firmly anchored the status quo in place for far too long a time.

There isn’t a conventional threat to Europe that Euro militaries shouldn’t be able to manage.

I really need to renew my sub to AW&ST. War on the Rocks helps with the philosophy, but sometimes you need to read about the hardware as well.