PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 6th Jun 2020, 07:38
Dannyboy39

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HZ123
Possible cessation of BA op at LGW!.

I believe in a leaked BA LGW 1 st May memo it was stated 'there is no certainty as to when or if these services can or will return'.

BA have 74 routes accounting for 17% of LGW capacity being about 20% of all operatrions at Gatwick. There is direct competition on 75% of these destinations. With exception of check-in staff the ground handling/dispatch was outsourced some years ago. I doubt that operating a wing of BA there is relatively low cost.

May be just a bluffing?
But they (or Virgin for that matter) do not want to give up the slots - they only want to lease them out. Understandably, the likes of Wizz want some certainty in their operations rather than be kicked out when the market picks up.

Watching Wizz in the background to all of the other airlines floundering is quite something... it's almost as if they're in a parallel universe to everyone else.

I don't know how, but there needs to be a better mechanism of allocating slots - all the current grandfathering system does is protect the status quo and impedes competition.