PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Mobilization into Washington DC?
Old 5th Jun 2020, 22:36
unmanned_droid

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50
Please explain what you mean by that. I will say to you that the people in the military have not 'gone against the people' - and really, what do you mean by that?
The people whose stores and homes are destroyed by looters are also, the People. Do you care about them? They matter. They are caught up in a tsunami of fear and violence also, through no fault of their own.
I doubt you'll find anyone serving who objects to the protests against abuse of power (the George Floyd case among others) and you'll find very few, or none, who believe that a riot solves anything.
When the military gets called in to do that Support For Civil Authority thing, it is already a crap situation to start with.
That the various police departments need to work on and improve their approach to Protect and Serve seems to be clear.

For Chiefttp: that probably fits better into a discussion on Jet Blast.
For VortexHoop: that post you linked to is a bit disturbing. In the middle there you offered a thought that is chilling (to me).
They can't do their job because of fear of looking bad. I completely get what's going on, with the two seconds of video tells the whole story approach by so much of the world's media. What's the remedy to that?
As the son and brother of police officers (UK) it's my experience that the actual officers are never going to win. They won't be supported by the seniors and they are villified every day. There are a minority of officers who show very poor conduct, as in the case of GF, and also in the Aubery case, although ex officer. These people should be made examples of as they are in positions of authority and must operate to a higher level than the public to set the example. In no way does this mean all officers are out to brutalise the public.

I see that a whole 57 man unit has quit public order duties in NYC because of what's happenning to 2 of their number. I would suggest more units do the same. In the UK, public order duty is voluntary (well 'voluntary') still, as far as I'm aware. Whilst the police operate by public consent, it is a voluntary occupation. One way to stop Police brutality is to remove the Police - it seems the police no longer have the public consent in some areas.

Conversely, I'd quite like to see everyone do 2 years in the Police, or Fire or Ambulance services, so they can see what the job is really about. Maybe pay that time served back with UBI or further education opportunities.