PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair France demands 20% pay cut for flight-crew to avoid redundancies
Old 5th Jun 2020, 06:56
Uplinker

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Trossie
Right now, the chance of a 20% cut to stay in employment against dig your heels in and end up joining the thousands of unemployed pilots looking for jobs, a 20% pay cut sounds a good deal.
Very true, and I am sure many will take it.

Monarch asked us to take a supposedly temporary 10% pay cut (after a difficult summer), that would supposedly be paid back*, which the majority voted for. We all kept our jobs, but it only delayed the subsequent failing of the company. I would bet money that the 20% pay cut cited here will never be restored in future years.

If I was in Ryanair and asked to take this pay cut, I probably would, but I would also start re-training for a non-flying job, and tightening my belt, finance-wise. The flying might continue for a couple more years - until the next crisis, or downward push on wages - during which time one could gain a new qualification.

*I took the 2 months off option instead, so at least I got something in return for my pay cut