PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Mobilization into Washington DC?
Old 5th Jun 2020, 00:10
towrope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, let me be clear that peaceful protest is a constitutional guarantee but vandalism and looting are not. Many, many people in the US saw this heavy handed response or something like it coming since his inauguration. That the military has gone against the people was dreaded but not unexpected under this administration. This is just a taste for when Trump loses the election badly, declares it rigged and refuses to recognize the results. He won’t be willing to leave office at the end of his term, you just watch. Fortunately our Constitution has an order of succession in the case of a faulty or no election and he’d be out Jan 20th regardless. My money is on him and his family skipping to Saudi early January when he realizes he will face consequences for many things he has done.

I was living in Seattle in 1999 when the WTO protests& riots happened. Each morning transit was running into downtown and “everything’s fine” until about noon when all hell broke loose. The police went mad and had a heyday. Nobody was safe from their antics. One afternoon, with all transit canceled I was having to walk out of downtown with other office clones (shirt, tie, Dockers), far from the protests/riot and was teargassed by police with badges and names covered over. The next afternoon I was walking home again, this time helping an 80 year-old lady when we were batoned in the back and teargassed by police with covered names and badges. You could see they were absolutely enjoying it. Since then I have never, ever trusted the police and I never will. .