PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a pilot After COVID-19
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2020, 01:56
MADMAX190

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pilotssky
Hi guys,

What is better to get a job once aviation recovers, a pilot with 1500hrs flown in a Cessna 172 or a pilot with 350hrs but with a type rating in the airplane to be flown in the airline?
This depends on so many factors, not least, how the industry is doing for experienced candidates....which right now, there is a glut of.
Whether or not the European carriers, especially the low cost ones, are going to be more interested in hiring experience, or in hiring low time guys is anyone's guess. On the one hand, it would be sensible to hire experience, it would make training easier and more cost effective, as well as adding to safety. On the other hand, experienced guys are less likely to tolerate poor conditions and BS, so some low costs may be more inclined to take low time pilots as they will be more easily controlled, and have less to compare their ****ty conditions/treatment to.
If the majority of carriers decide to hire the experienced guys first, then I'd say 1500 on a C172 is going to be more beneficial, as you're more likely to pick up a job flying a turboprop with this, not to mention, if you go that route, you'll pick up valuable decision making skills, as well as hand-flying skills which, I don't care what anyone says, you will NOT pick up in the RHS of an A320. Those skills will help you a lot in your simulator checks once you are flying that jet. It will also make you appreciate your job on that jet far more when you do get there, and probably make you less insufferable for the majority of captains! ;-)

On the other hand, it can't be denied that most of us want to get into that jet as soon as possible, IF airlines decide to go with the "cadet" route and hire low time guys, then obviously a type rating on said jet will make you more employable in what is going to be a VERY competitive market.

On the whole I'd probably say 1500 hours in a C172, or better still, 500 in a C172 and 500 in a twin, will get you a job somewhere, whereas the 350 hour option will be a risk. Unless you're a sponsored cadet with a "guarantee" (airlines use that term loosely sometimes so be careful) of joining an airline once graduated, I'd say option 1 is your best bet.
Good luck out there, this is a cruel industry.