PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAA F27 Crash 10 June 1960
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2020, 22:38
boaccomet4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TAA F27 Crash 10 June 1960

On 10 June 2020 it will be 60 years since Trans Australia Airlines F27 VH-TFB crashed into the sea whilst on approach in foggy/low cloud conditions with the loss of all 29 passengers and crew on board. It is still regarded as on of two accidents (the other involving another airline and type in 1950) with the highest loss of life in civil RPT ops. Probably easier for those interested to do a search on the accident rather than me going into details. Even though the Department Of Civil aviation and safety teams investigated the accident and came up with various theories as to the cause the actual cause of the accident was not solved and assumed to be a CFIT. TAA held an internal investigation which was never released. As a result of this accident Australia was the first country in the world to require the installation of Cockpit Voice Recorders on aircraft of similar weight and above operating in RPT operations. I feel we should recognise that those whose lives were cut short led to a number of improvements in aviation safety. Not many people around now who were involved in the industry, investigation and recovery etc. I would be interested in your feedback on this accident.