PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2020, 01:12
4runner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Twitter
In another life I did maintenance test flights which demanded, on lift off an engine to idle to check some flight guidance items, gear up and then a descent to check emergency thrust increase etc. Not only did this look awful from the cockpit and the tower (who had been informed in advance) but it set off a barrel load of aural warnings and red indicators.

Even with a meticulous preparation this scenario came as quite a shock - all the warnings from Hell, at the same time. It helps me, in a way to understand the reactions to blatant warnings in this case - and also the 737 Max departures - which were for sure not so planned for.

Warnings have their limitations. Only good procedures and discipline could have kept this crew from deteriorating into the chambers of Hell, where reason and experience no longer work. If there is a lesson here, it is not to get outside the envelope in the first place - and if you do, do everything possible to get back inside it before continuing.
I’m not sure you are being 100%. Ive never heard of any kind of FC that requires an engine to idle at liftoff. Some turbo props have auto feather and the crj 200 has auto increase in thrust, but these aren’t checked on a test flight, right after “liftoff”.