PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 14 day quarantine
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2020, 15:09
SMT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Plastic787
OK fine. Would you have been happier if I’d written in the process of opening borders right now? Seeing as that’s clearly what I meant I stand by the comment about pedantry. Strawman tactics at their best, bravo.

The fact remains that, despite hysterical assertions on this forum that the U.K. is the hotbed of Covid-19 in Europe, in actual fact Spain has the highest numbers of deaths per capita and is proposing opening borders imminently. Address that please rather than attacking the straw man.
It's been pointed out just a few post above your, that death rates are largely meaningless - it's the rate of new infections that's important. And where e.g. Germany (c. 400) Italy (ca. 500), France (ca. 100) and Spain (ca. 300) seemingly are getting the spread under control, the UK is at around 2000.

PS
87,9% (!) of all Covid-19 deaths have been 70+ years old, and usually suffering from one or more chronic diseases. Thus, the prudent and logical approach would have been to lock that age group down whilst allowing the rest of society to continue more or less as per normal. Why that hasn't been done is one of the great mysteries of how this has been handled.