PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Bovingdon - 1960s
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2020, 14:13
G-ARZG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OUAQUKGF Ops
One of the most successful postwar British Independent Airlines, Hunting Air Transport, later Hunting Clan Air Services were based at Bovingdon from 1948 until 1954. During this period the back-bone of the airline was its fleet of Vickers Vikings. These were operated on charter and scheduled services including many large Government Contracts, typically trooping. On June 4th 1952 a Viking departed Bovingdon to inaugurate what became the famous Hunting Clan Safari Air Service from the UK to Nairobi. This service was initially operated in conjunction with Airwork operating from Blackbushe.

Viking 1 G-AGRV Hunting Air Transport at Bovingdon. August 1952. Photo credit Tony Clarke Collection.

I've always thought this was the most super photo. I have a slight personal connection with 'Romeo Whisky' so I hope you don't mind if I drift off a bit!

At Wisley 1947. After short-lived service with the State carrier this aeroplane passed through the hands of a London tour operator and a merchant bank before joining Hunting Air Transport in 1952. Photo credit the late Ron Roberts.

Basle not Bovingdon. Probably mid-fifties. Photo credit Edgar Beck.

At the end of 1959 'Romeo Whisky' was sold to Overseas Aviation at Southend.

Schipol 17th February 1960. Crew Only. Probably the result of harsh braking while turning off the runway after landing.

Overseas went bust in 1961 and in 1962 'Romeo Whisky' joined Autair at Luton.

I expect the passenger scheduled service from Blackpool to Luton on the 7th July 1965 was delayed by this runaway Aermacchi AL60-B1 which wrote itself off in a moment of absent-mindedness. Photo credit late Capt Pete Dibley.

'Romeo Whisky' now in freighter config and working its way towards the end of its flying life. Luton possibly winter 1966-67. Note the Ops Department's CCTV camera atop the hangar. We were very proud of this bit of kit. It was the most modern piece of technology the airline had, at least until the new HS748s came along.

On February 15th 1968 'Romeo Whisky' and her sister ship 'Papa Bravo' were flown by Autair to Soesterberg, Netherlands and taken through the streets to be put out to grass. Photo credit from a postcard via 'The Vikings of Soesterberg'

'Romeo Whisky' remained at Soesterberg until about 1980 when the three Vikings were sold. The proceeds of the sale of RW and PB enabling the third Viking RU to be returned to the UK for preservation. Photo credit A Kempster. 'The Vikings of Soesterberg'

I've next found 'Romeo Whisky' looking rather sad on the roof at Vienna Airport in 1998. Apparently she spent many years there. Photo credit Erik Frikke.

Somewhere about 1999 'Romeo Whisky' was restored by a group of Austrian Airlines enthusiasts and placed outside a MacDonalds near Vienna Airport. Photo credit Gergo Ozoray.

'Romeo Whisky' survived on Big Macs until 2013 when it was removed and once again put out to grass. Photo credit Andy Graf.

Photo credit Target Aviation Photography.

It looks like the end is nigh. Photographed in 2019 at the Austrian Aviation Museum Bad Voslau. Credit per photo.

Happy Memories. G-AGRW landing with its load of Dutch Flowers at Templehof in 1966. Photo credit Ralf Manteufel.

My erstwhile colleague Keith Spragg flew the Autair Vikings - the Berlin Skippers Alex Imrie and 'Speedy' Williams were local legends, Keith writes of his times with them here. Scroll down to read:
https://books.google.co.uk/books/abo...AJ&redir_esc=y
​​​​​​
Great to see photo of the attempted mating of 'RW and G-ARZG (the root of my PPrune name, my first flight, and the reason for a mis-spelt lifetime in aviation)