PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easy Jet job cuts
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2020, 13:43
Nightmale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no doubt that in time peple will start to fly again in numbers, but it's not going to be any time soon. Yes things will become 'normal' again but it will be a different normal. Many airlines will cease to exist. Many experienced people will find themselves out of a job. Management of the airlines that survive and the new ones that emerge will have a completely differnt idea of how much they need to pay people.

What is an experienced jet captain with no other significant skill set going to do if he's offered 40 or 50k a year rather than the 100k he might have had before, when the alternative is 20k driving a bus? especially when he knows there are another thousand waiting behind him? This could become the normality.

I am old enough to remember being taken on for my first commercial job, and having my type rating and all other requirements, wet drills, fire/smoke etc etc etc paid for. All the while on full pay, allowances etc. Slowly people started accepting less and less and ended up with reduced or no salary, paying for type ratings, paying to fly etc. This became the new normal before Covid-19.

Sad as it is, the reality I fear is for a new base line. This will be an employers market for a significant (years) time to come.

Good luck to all.