PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2020, 22:17
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by homebuilt
Guys, I cannot buy the question of fixed throttles (Airbus) or moving ones (Boeing). In my opinion it’s unlikely it has anything to deal with this accident.
. . . .
So in the case of this terrible accident, I don’t think fixed throttles were an issue.
Precisely.

Why these observations/comments about "non-moving thrust levers" continue to arise in discussions regarding accidents involving Airbus after thirty years of worldwide A320 flying, is a puzzle. Moving/non-moving is not an issue. I flew Douglas, Boeing NB/WB, Lockheed, Airbus NB/WB, the latter for fifteen years, and the thrust levers and all types were never an issue because one just adjusts to the machine one is currently flying; QED.

And if one didn't like what the airplane, including the Airbus, was doing at any time, one just disconnected everything including thrust levers and flew the airplane just as one would fly a DC9/DC8 or 727 because that's all the A320 is, underneath the C* laws and protections.

On thrust levers/throttles, joysticks or control columns, one can comment on an airplane only if one has been trained on it and has flown it for some bit of time. Otherwise its just opinion and while perhaps interesting to argue, I believe that remaining curious and asking questions rather than pronouncing is still a good way to engage and learn in aviation. This isn't an "invitation" to stay in one's back yard...not at all...this is about acknowledging real expertise while engaging same. And that is still just good manners, isn't it?

PJ2