PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 28th May 2020, 11:38
PilotLZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey
This to me is one of the more interesting comments on this thread which seemed to be glossed over when it was posted. The retraining bill if BA simply dismiss hundreds of the most junior pilots will be absolutely gigantic. I don't see this being a path BA will necessarily wish to go down. Particularly if temporary measures can be found which allow a swift return to flying when demand recovers.

I'd certainly vote in favour of any part time option, or indeed any option presented which saved jobs. I'm sure most of us would.
I fully agree. The training bill and inability to ramp up capacity quickly enough if the situation so requires can obliterate any savings from retrenchment.

And there's even more to it. Although someone might not like this one, there's one awkward truth standing against letting go of the most junior birdmen out there... The future of any given company, aviation and society in general is in the hands of those with 30-40 years of working life ahead of them. Sure, those with a couple of years left to retirement have their own highly valuable contribution to the system by virtue of their experience - but time keeps ticking away and in another couple of years getting on the wrong side of 65 will bring their careers to an end. And it will be the time for the ones whose jobs are currently at the greatest risk to take over. And I reckon that the transition will be far smoother and safer if said individuals spend the coming years flying part-time on a reduced income rather than struggling for survival somewhere completely out of aviation.