PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working Life After Flying
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2020, 22:02
Bantam42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chartered Surveyor

Speaking as someone who used to be in aviation and dreamed of becoming a pilot, which never happened mainly due to money and the risk I just didn't want to take at the time. I just thought I would share something that may give you some guidance into a career in Surveying.
​​​​​​
With everything in aviation being pretty poorly paid below ATC or at the pointy end, I left the industry entirely and became an estate agent, this gave me some experience to get into a surveying firm and qualify as an associate of RICS surveyor. Pay starts around £40k plus, but I know experienced guys that are making 6 figures.

You don't have to have experience to join a firm as you can pay around £10k to a company called SAVA to do a home based learning course, similar to Open University.

Good thing about being a surveyor is in a crap market you will get plenty of repossession work. Always based at home, can be finished by lunchtime some days and weekends off!

I appreciate that it's a difficult time for all of you and this post maybe completely irrelevant but if it's of help to anyone, I'm more than happy to answer questions.