PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KOREAN AIR expat pilots?
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2020, 06:33
Flyoveriraq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Craic Ore
I think most of us knew it was a huge risk and probable eventuality. We chose instead to ignore some of that reality and make the best of the situation. It’s still was (is?) the best commuting contract in the airline biz.

Not really sure about What you mean here.....signing for a contractor job has always had a relative risk of losing your income without a protection, but the lack of ethics shown by the korean managements, together with a complete and disappointing behavior by the agencies was a major disaster.

What you state above is heresy. Yes, about 10% of the force don’t like us, maybe another 20-30% have been brainwashed to dislike us as well, but the larger part of the group prefer to fly with us, as our CRM skills are evolved and we are generally more team focused and kinder to the FOs.

You call this an heresy, but I believe you should really do a rain check: what you called evolved CRM skilled for them is just a mere opportunity to reaffirm their individuality in a company , or more widely speaking a society, which is based on seniority and rank with no mercy. We are not welcomed in that country and the last covid crisis showed it really hard: there is no help for foreigners, even if married with koreans....

Reality is we are a perfect workforce for KAL, on the margin. If they need us, great, bring us in and fly us, if not, send us home to sit on our hands. Another reality in aviation, the retirements hit fast and hard over the next 10 years. The more pilots that get brushed aside, the harder this is going to be on airlines in the middle of the 20s, when there is absolutely no pool of qualified applicants. Especially if the terms and conditions erode throughout this period, as I fully suspect. Smart management won’t see this as an opportunity, they’ll be wise enough to realize what’s further ahead of them and treat the pilots as the professionals they are.

But for now, it’s a waiting game. The well managed will prosper in the coming years, the poorly managed will flounder or fail. We will see what comes of KAL and the others in Korea.
I agree, let’s wait and see what happen, and please, let us know your insight when your license and qualification will be expired, and you will not receive even a pat on your shoulder for all these years hard work.
By the way, what is your family saying about korean pilots receiving 70% of their salary for sitting on their hands compared to your ....nothing?

All the best to all of us, we really deserve it...