PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Forces Snowbirds CT-114 down in British Columbia
Old 25th May 2020, 09:20
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
Thank yous to the guys who gave references as above.

Some of the stuff went over my head as I am not an ETPS graduate, but reading them over breakfast my conclusions are :

Low level engine failures followed by turnbacks are fraught with danger and are VERY high risk manoeuvres many variables come into play as explained in these. papers and , in general, require very accurate flying and the right conditions, of cross wind, headwind and runway length etc as well as, obviously, aircraft climb and glide performance. I dont think they included what Sully called the “startle factor”

All of the papers refer to GA aircraft, but the military jet trainer has a better way out, Weber or MB, pretty much guaranteed to be succesful if initiated within the seat envelope and that Weber0/60 sounds pretty capable to me.

The Sport Aviation article, although written by a test pilot and Shuttle Commander is much simpler.

Several guys have PM ,d me for a copy. You will all get a reply later today or tomorrow. ( edit: all sent, anyone else just pm your email address)

Glad to hear the SB pilot is recovering.

Last edited by RetiredBA/BY; 25th May 2020 at 10:09.