PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2020, 02:45
Lonewolf_50

Received 394 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Cloudtopper
Those referring to a ”Just Culture” here, bear in mind it is not practised in some areas of the world. Pakistan being one!
Your post about culture got me thinking a bit here. One of the things about FOQUA and Metrics is what those tools incentivize. For example:
If your reward/punishment scale is "who uses the least fuel per mile" you will incentivize creative ways to either save fuel or appear to be saving fuel.
If your reward punishment scale is "who gets off on time and lands on time" you will incentivize creative ways to get to the gate on time.
If your reward punishment scale is "fewest complaints about firm landings" you will incentivize (perhaps) an extraordinary effort towards greasing one on ...

And so on. Which makes me wonder: what do this company's SOPs and rules and metrics incentivize? Did those incentives play into whatever it was that this crew did during this (apparently) routine flight from Point A to Point B?

Sometimes you can write a policy and discover, months later, maybe years later, that what people are doing to appear to be adhering to that policy isn't quite what you wanted them to do.
(I have a vague memory of a story about 727 pilots being clever with the flaps in flight from years ago that would illustrate that point, but can't find a reference at the moment).