PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2020, 15:45
giggitygiggity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by henra
It is surely on the high side. Would have been OK if they had space to dissipate the energy for the final approach. But with that descent rate even with engines at idle you will arrive at 10k on the high side of the speed range. And in this case at 10 kft they were so close to the airport that they had to even further steepen the approach. So looking at that graph it indicates that they probably started the descent a few minutes too late for the given circumstances. For whatever reason. Possibly they were expecting a holding pattern or a much wider circuit?
It might perhaps be slightly on the high side but calling it incredible is somewhat sensationalist.

This is not a boast and I'm sure you'll label me as an accident waiting to happen, but I looked up the last flight I did on the A320 to Tenerife (sadly back in march), I descended from 39,000ft to 10,000ft in 11 mins after getting a very nice (and requested) short cut from ATC - 2,600ft/min average. I managed to land without crashing into Las Americas. There was however just (again sadly) 6 of us on board.