PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2020, 06:36
voiceinurheadset

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iron Duck
I've not heard the entire ATC recording, but from first spotting they were high and fast, and offering delaying vectors, ATC should have paid particular attention to this approach. An observer with binoculars should have seen the ground strike and climb-away trailing smoke. I would at least have expected ATC to have warned them that they'd hit the ground, were smoking, and probably had engine damage. I would then have expected ATC pro-actively to have vectored them clear of built-up areas either by suggesting a tear-drop return or an approach that avoided the Model Colony, which is built up almost to the runway threshold.
m an ATC and that’s exactly my point .
if theres any mention of gear issues there will be at least 1-2 ppl up in the Tower immediately with binoculars holding their breath for safe landing being on a high alert ready for emergency response if needed.
but listening to the recording ATC seems quite reserved ... not proactive at all.
if they failed first attempt to land and scratched like that thats already an emergency to me without even pilot declaring Mayday on the freq .
But in many third countries they would await the pilot to initiate anything before they do and proactiveness and suggestions are sometimes frowned upon .