PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2020, 20:34
Fawad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If this was a planned belly landing or any sort of landing with known landing gear issues, wouldn't the ATC know about it exactly, and wouldn't there be emergency vehicles at the runway? It is certain that there was some sort of landing gear problem but what is unclear is to what extent and what they were trying to do. Here's an extract from a surviving (1 of 2) passenger:

"...Recalling the plane's sudden descent, he said that the pilot announced the landing, after which two sudden jerks were felt by passengers. He said the plane hit the runway momentarily before it was flown upwards. "People began to pray fervently...."

This is a third world county, so many "people with contact" can get inside information quickly and share it for "I have inside connections and I know it" ego, which is common since processes and rules aren't that strict. I am not sure how true it is, but one such person said that there were problems deploying the landing gear (I am assuming here the nose gear since main gears are easier to deploy due to gravity). As per his claim, the pilot attempted the landing hoping for a touch and go so that the "bump" would deploy the gear (I am assuming a missed landing touching the main gears to bump and deploy the nose gear), make a go-around, and come back to land again. Things got bad and they hit the engines which caused double engine failure and they were unable to gain enough altitude to make a complete go-around.

I am not sure if this sounds crazy or plausible but it is what it is.