PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Forces Snowbirds CT-114 down in British Columbia
Old 22nd May 2020, 16:37
dead_pan

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Dune
Ejection sequence:
  • pull the handles/slam your head back into the headrest as the belt tensioner will pull you back into the seat (you do not want your head down when the rocket fires due to neck injury).
  • canopy release fires; hopefully canopy separates (otherwise you are going though the canopy with the ram leading the way)
  • rocket seat initiates up the rails
  • seat drogue fires to provide drag to the seat to help with man/seat separation.
  • seat/man separator fires . This releases the 5-point harness and a "kicker" pushes the body/seat pack (which contains the survival equipment) out of the seat.
  • as you exit the seat a lanyard is attached to the harness which initiates chute deployment
Does anyone have approx timings for the 4th and 5th line items (assuming they aren't conditional on the speed/attitude/etc of the seat)? The reason I ask is that, in the footage in the CBC piece posted above, both seats seem to have travelled an awfully long way from the ejection point without anything seeming to happen, as evidenced by this screen-grab (I know both were travelling downhill, but even so):

I did initially suspect the first seat was trailing the chute just before it disappeared from view, but on reflection I think this is the remnants of rocket efflux.