PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a pilot After COVID-19
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2020, 11:25
Spid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need some advice, as this is the most important and uncertain decision I have ever faced.

I am a 29 year old aerospace engineer. I quit my job on January to start integrated ATPL. Now I’m 4 months into the course and seems the worst moment to start this huge investment as the future looks bad for pilots. I don’t want to make a decision such as quitting the course, just in the very peak of pessimism. I would need some more time to understand what the near future is gonna be like, as for now we know nothing. But the longer I take to decide, the more money I loose in this ATPL attempt. I might not get back 7-12K€ for this 4 months.

If I were to start the course now, the decision would be easy. I’d just do modular course. And if things went well I would continue, if bad, I would just stay at PPL, and at least experience flying.
I want to be a pilot no matter what, but current reality is a continuous big slap on my face.

Looking for a non pilot job, for the next 3-10 years is a reality. But sooner or later I’ll pursue this dream again, as there is nothing else I want to do. But could I get hired in the future, in maybe 10 years from now, me being 39?

To understand my risk, I’d be paying the course remortgaging a house I own, shared with my sister. But the next years look bad to find a job also for me, having an engineering degree. Won’t be the best moment to have a 80K€ debt.

Im asking for advice to friends, pilots, engineers, and everyone I trust.
It would be helpful a to see some opinions here.
so, what would you do?