PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Forces Snowbirds CT-114 down in British Columbia
Old 18th May 2020, 11:23
junior.VH-LFA

Received 71 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by WeeWinkyWilly
….you are going to crash. Speaking as a low-level jet aerobaticist, what were he thinking?....pulling up after take-off (low energy) into a barrel roll and compounding that by losing the roll-rate at the top, just as the picture out the front changed to dire (due to the high terrain they were rolling towards).
I often did some silly things (uncoord garbage rolls at 300ft agl - until I learnt the secret script and thereafter did it confidently), but nothing ever that stupid? You don't even need to hit the buffet to get that eject imperative. But then again, I did leave the ventral speedbrake out during a pitch-up tailslide topping at 3000ft, tried to full-fwd stick recover the vertical, and entered three full turns of an an inverted spin after it fell on its back, so I guess we are all guilty at times of stoopid and thoughtless. During the90 nose-down recovery on that buzz, buffet, judder evolution, I can still see (in my nightmares) whole hordes of spectators below running radially outwards.
Never letting things develop is the secret sauce. Not starting without sufficient smash is the secret saviour. Low and slow or high, slow and face-fulla dirt is formulaically fatal.
Not trying to be smart. I was essentially self-taught.... and soon learnt to stop trying too hard or being in anyway adventurous. An earnest discussion with my CO (who saw that very proximal garbage roll) also helped re-orient my bravado. He was talking to the CAS in front of the O's Mess when he saw the CAS expression change to horror - as he viewed me in the distance over the CO's shoulder. As I said later, on his carpet, "no sweat boss, I'm on top of it now. There's a bit of a trick to it.".
You really think this was a planned barrel roll after take off on a pairs take off proceeding on a ferry flight with Pax onboard?

Last edited by junior.VH-LFA; 18th May 2020 at 11:37.