PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA ATPL to Australian Conversion
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2020, 13:13
CFD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its been a long time since I did it - and things may have changed and I haven't flown in 9 years due to a medical issue so out of the loop a bit.
You will probably encounter difficulties getting a visa but I managed to get an employer sponsored one (I had been interviewed and sim flight test and offered the job) - it took 12 months or so for the process and lots of paperwork.
You will need to convert licence - from memory what I needed to do was:
1. Needed to apply for an ARN - aviation reference number from CASA
2. Needed to apply for a CoV (certificate of validation) to enable me to operate an Aus reg AC which I needed to do some IR training and flight test ( CAA were useless at providing info CASA wanted - took some weeks)
3. I needed to visit Aus to convert - needed to do Medical, CPL air law, ATPL air law and IREX exams (I undertook some weeks of self study in the UK prior) - then do the IR flight test in an aircraft to get Aus ATPL issued - I did my flight test in a duchess and I had not flown a light twin in 10 years, however CASA were kind enough to transfer the B737 onto my Aus licence based on the CAA one.

Things you will want to review - visa classes ( while aircraft pilot is on some lists of skilled shortages things can changed rapidly and you can find out you applied all was good, then they changed it mid way through waiting and then you can forget it!). There are different requirements depending on visa class (https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/what...ve-instruments)
CASA licence conversion (https://www.casa.gov.au/standard-pag...rseas-licences)

As others have said... good luck, but I would guess its rather doubtful you will be able to get anything here in the next few years.... I have the 737 on my licence ( and prob have over 4000 PIC on it ) and just have my medical back.... but I'm looking at single engine or light twin to just get flying again