PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a pilot After COVID-19
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2020, 20:13
awair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is an incredible depth of wisdom and advice in this thread, but I'll add my 2-cents anyway, as it's probably better to learn from the mistakes of others, than your own?

But first it simply boils down to this:
Originally Posted by Andre Meyer
It is never a good time to become a Pilot neither is it ever a bad time to become a Pilot. It is, however, important to become a Pilot.
Originally Posted by q400_driver
Once the restrictions start to lift, one can assume an influx of high quality instructors into training industry. You want to do your pilot training when the economy is down - this typically means you get a good product for a low price.

Yes airlines are firing a LOT of pilots at the moment, but here's the thing..
First of all, airlines also have a LOT of metal sitting on the ground. These planes cost ridiculous money in leasing every month and there's no way out of it. Some airlines will go bankrupt but the machines will still make losses to somebody, be it a lessor, bank, an oil magnate, it doesn't matter - at some point they will need to fly again to pay themselves off and you will need people for that.
I agree with @q400_driver, this will be a great time to train, good instruction and possibly unique opportunities ... but watch your budget!

Originally Posted by giggitygiggity
There will be thousands, probably tens of thousands of flying jobs over the next 5 years, but none, bar the odd cargo one for the next 2. An incomprehensible number of airlines will go bust, maybe not today, but soon. They’ll come out of this so riddled with debt; this will open up many many opportunities new solvent airlines to form. They’ll be able to buy slots, planes and crew very very cheap, on far worse terms than those employed now are on.

No amount of government loaning is going to solve our/the upcoming debt crisis.

There are going to be massive winners out of this, but the brands you recognise I’m afraid, aren’t going to be the champions.
There are grounds for optimism as well as pessimism. Those pilots in their mid-50s, will leave the industry early, in an attempt to carve a second career. Some, who are young enough will switch as well, and others, thinking of training, will fail to continue. This 'natural selection' will not make jobs available for all, but there will be opportunities for those willing and eager.

Originally Posted by spitfirejock
I also admit, my crystal ball does NOT allow me to predict the future either, and despite many on here that think they are right (many gloomy and some optimistic), no one really knows, so in my opinion it boils down to money - spend as little as you can to follow your dream, but this would be my best advice even before the virus!!

So to the pundits that predict Armageddon - they say flying is finished, no one will travel again. I cant say they are wrong, just as I cant say I am right, however, learning to fly and holding a PPL is fulfilling the dream of flying, you can do most things and go most places (especially with an IR), you can even share costs with friends, you just cant be paid or fly for an airline yet, but later, its an easy jump if by the time everything returns (if it does) to normal, you have a couple of hundred hours in your logbook and have enjoyed every minute of it.
SJ
So rather than "Modular or Integrated?", maybe reconsider your goal: do you want to fly? Do you want to be a pilot, or be paid to be a pilot? That £70k or 100k could go a long way to a much better solution, if the earnings curve doesn't match what has been historically available.

My advice would be to enroll in a US aviation-centric University (Purdue, UND, Ohio State etc). Follow a non-flying degree with earning potential, and over the 2-4 years duration, qualify for PPL, IR etc, as your budget allows. Keep an eye on the market, and accelerate your flying training as appropriate.

Most of all, enjoy every hour you spend aloft, rather than rushing through a never-ending treadmill to a destination that disappears.

Good luck!